Monday, February 02, 2009

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

I have a quick story to tell from work today. Maybe it's not actually funny to the general population, but if you happen to be a 3rd grade teacher you might like it.

On with the story.

In math, we're wrapping up division this week and are practicing how to divide when there's a remainder. So I gave my kids this problem:

There are 46 students in Ms. Gross' and Mrs. Peter's classes. We want to go on a field trip, and each bus can hold 20 students. How many buses will we need?

I wanted my kids to realize that we would need three buses, because we couldn't (despite wanting to...) leave 6 students behind.

So one of my kids raised her hand and said we would need three buses and gave a great explanation. But then a clever boy with a good sense of humor raised his hand and said,

"But Ms. Gross, maybe we should just get a van instead."


No comments: