Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A turn toward the good?

If you're friends with me on Facebook, you may have seen the good news.

One of my students (who is also one of my most difficult behavior-wise) is moving across the country tomorrow. If you were wondering how I felt about that (or even if you weren't, I'm going to tell you anyway), I think the huge smile on my face during his last school day today would let you know how I felt. He's a smart kid, and I know that if he came to school caring about his work on the days when we take the MCAS tests this spring he would probably pass and help my class' scores. But the fact that instead of participating in class he chooses to quietly swear in Spanish at other students who walk by him, makes baby noises during lessons that cause the rest of the class to fall to pieces, and does sexually inappropriate things to fences during fire drills makes me thrilled to have said goodbye for good to him this afternoon.

My class is by no means going to be the star class starting tomorrow. I'm down to 26 students, and I have 5 that I have serious behavior concerns about. One was suspended last week for a fight. Another boy stabbed a girl with a pencil while he was with another teacher. And a girl complained to me that another boy was talking about licking genitals today at recess. (In case you need a refresher, I teach 3rd grade. These kids are 8 and 9. How they know about oral sex, I have no idea.)

But I'm hoping and praying and crossing my fingers that tomorrow is a better day than any of the last 5 weeks have been.


Most days I wish this was allowed in public schools.

No comments: