Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Persistence

This post has no point. Then again, do any of mine really have an important point?

On with it anyway.

My whole life, I've wanted to like oatmeal. I don't really know why I've been so persistent about it. Maybe because both my parents really like it and eat it a lot, and my mom always raved about how much she liked oatmeal. So when I was little, each time my mom made oatmeal, I asked for some too. I wanted to get what she got out of oatmeal. I tried it sweet, with cinnamon or sugar (brown sugar, regular sugar, and all combinations). I added raisins. I tried it with just salt, like my mom ate it. Nothing.

Finally, maybe 6 months ago, I started to like it. I found the perfect combination of salt and sugar. And then I began to ween myself off of some of the sugar and salt, since the two tablespoons of sugar I was dumping in the bowl sort of negated the healthiness of the oatmeal. And now I've gotten to the point where it's a filling, but mostly healthy snack or breakfast that I eat at least 4 times a week. I LOVE OATMEAL.

So naturally, I've been on the lookout for other oatmeal ideas since I like oatmeal for what it is finally. I tried stirring in about a tablespoon of strawberry preserves---delicious! I also read about adding some peanut butter and fruit. I'm thinking about trying some bananas with it.

Anyone know any good oatmeal ideas from one proud oatmeal lover to the next? I'm a bit sad that it took me almost 28 years to finally like the stuff.

4 comments:

Beth said...

I've always wanted to like oatmeal too. Sadly, I still don't. But you've inspired me to keep trying. :)

Sam loves it though!

Jenny Grace said...

Butter is key. And bacon.

Stacy said...

Interesting idea Jenny. I could see butter being really good. I never thought to add it. And bacon goes well with anything.

Beth- the key for me was starting the same way I got myself to like coffee--way too much sugar (and salt in this case). It was very tasty. Then I gradually lessened it. Sometimes I use splenda if I want it pretty sweet but not 6 tablespoons of sugar, but it generally tastes better with real sugar, so I relutantly use less.

Anonymous said...

try the Carrots n Cake blog... She's constantly adding weird things to her oatmeal. I just like it plain myself. But I've heard so many people say this salt thing that I need to try it out now. I think I'll stick to my granola mixed with yogurt. Good luck on your journey!