Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Costumes

I love love LOOOVVVVE Halloween. And I don't understand people who don't like the holiday. You get to eat lots of candy for weeks before and after the date, you wear costumes, and you have fun, crazy decorations like spider webs. Also, you can do the "fun" kind of scary things, like the Simpsons Halloween special, which is scary but not really scary, so you can still fall asleep at night and not worry about someone climbing in through your window to get you.

However, when I reached the age of adult Halloween parties, I realized that I never got the memo that girls are supposed to dress...differently. I finally got the hint when I watched "Mean Girls" a few years back, and Lindsay Lohan set me straight. Even so, I've spent the past two years arriving at Halloween parties and then realizing that I had the most clothes on our of all of the girls there, with th exception of Caitlin, because she and I had planned our costumes together. There was a few years of dressing up in a gigantic whoopie cushion costume, then my 4th/5th grade girl scout uniform, and then last year I topped it all by being a nun.




Yes, I'm standing with an abortion doctor in the 3rd picture.

So last November 1st, I decided that my goal for the next Halloween would be to wear less clothing. I stressed out all Sunday trying to think of something good, and I think I came up with it. I'm going to be a mummy, but not one of those mummies that's wrapped up head to toe. I got what I think is a good idea here:



I like it because hopefully I'll be the only mummy at the party (I had been planning for months to be Sarah Palin, until I heard there was going to be another Sarah Palin there, and that the girl had dressed up as Tina Fey last year). And I think I can make the whole costume for $20 or less, depending on what I find for a skirt/shirt to go underneath the wraps. Oh, and I get to use a glue gun to make my costume!

What do you think? Any other ideas???

2 comments:

Jenny Grace said...

You're asking for advice for someone who has dressed like a giant turquoise chicken-bird MORE THAN ONCE? I got nuthin.

Anonymous said...

i think it's a great idea... and i can't wait to see pics!
last chris and i were supposed to be mario and princess peach, but all our friends bailed on dressing up, so hopefully we get to wear them this year. haven't found anything small enough for emma to fit into though :(