Wednesday, May 02, 2007

I'm wearing one white sock and one pink.

It's been a long week, and somehow it's only Wednesday? This week I'm holding parent conferences, which I'm very mixed about. It's nice to have another teacher cover my class for the first half hour of the morning, but the downside is that then I head back into the classroom to start the day, and the room has been torn to shreds and at least one child is trying to climb the wall. There are two particularly challenging boys in my class: The Biter, and another little boy. I had back to back conferences with their parents this morning, and it was a killer of a way to start the day. The only exciting part was when the biter's parents began to argue with each other during the conference, because one wasn't letting the other talk. After those lovely conferences, I headed back to my room to be observed by this woman who is getting my school ready for its re-accredidation. She stuck around for three and a half horrible hours, and every time I actually paused for a minute, she pounced on me to ask me things like which areas do I think are strengths of my classroom, or how did I think my morning meeting with the kids went? Meanwhile, the Biter used my moment of distraction to sneak over to Noah's cubby and steal his Batmobile, resulting in shrieks from across the room. It was the second observation of the week, as the assistant director had already spent the first half of the day in my room yesterday. And I know that it's sort of part of my job, but I'm pretty sure there's no other job where you have to sing and dance while being observed by your boss.

No wait, I take that back--maybe if I were a showgirl I'd have to do that.

But it's pretty humbling having adults watch as you do the "Super Scary Monster Dance."

No comments: