Saturday, February 25, 2006

I had this problem...

I was obsessed with the computer game The Sims. Obsessed doesn't even do it justice. I lost track of the time of day while I wasted away an afternoon with my imaginary people. I missed a meal or two (well, I probably just delayed lunch by an hour), and I dreamt about them at night. Over my break between student teaching and the start of the spring semester, it got really really bad. And then it happened--I got bored of the game. I stopped playing for almost 2 months. More like a month and a half maybe. But still, that was really good.

Until today. It was really cold. And snowy. And my roommates were gone...and I was bored. I saw my mouse double clicking on that happy little sims icon. And before I knew it, I had created new families and built a bunch of neat little houses, with hot tubs and pools, and one even with a fish tank. Just when I thought I could see the end of my sims obsession, it was a major setback day.





All day I've been listening to some little kids who are visiting the people upstairs. I'm not sure exactly what they're doing, or how they're not completely exhausted, but they've been pounding their little feet onto the floor right above my room for the entire day. I'm hoping they're going home soon, but I have a feeling I'll be hearing the not-so-angelic pitter patter at 7:00 tomorrow morning when they wake up and are ready for more jumping. Whatever happened to sitting quietly and playing board games?

No comments: