Thursday, January 25, 2007

Kate's almost old enough to die

My school has this terrible rule where teachers can't take their classes outside for their playground time unless it's above 32 degrees. That would be reasonable if we lived in, say, South Carolina, but 32 degrees isn't that cold in Boston. It's been really really cold, but some days were only like 30 degrees, and we still couldn't take them out. Which was totally dumb.

Yesterday we hit the wall. Yesterday was the day all 18 of my kids decided to rebel. They were horrible. They were running. They were screaming. They were shoving in line. They were throwing toys and paintbrushes. They were holding hands during our Israeli dance class and would all of a sudden start running, trying to make the whole line fall down. And a select few decided the writing table would be a good place to pretend that markers and colored pencils were make-up, and decorate their faces.

Today we went outside for the first time in over a week, and it looks like it'll be the last time for the rest of January. Wish me luck.

Today was also exciting because I went to the doctor for the first time in 7 years, and I didn't throw up. (Which is big). But I did come home with a new toy:



It's a bit of asthma. And you don't have to tell me twice, I already know all the cool kids carry inhalers, like my roommate. But should our inhalers ever get mixed up, I can mine apart since mine is the one that is not covered in tobacco.

And speaking of roommates...guess who turned 25 yesterday!





That is one pretty tasty cookie cake. COVERED IN FROSTING. And as you can see, Kate is pretty contemplative before she blows out the candles, clearly pausing for a moment to reflect upon the past year.

Happy 25!

No comments: