Sunday, November 09, 2008

The arthritis makes it hard to flip quickly.

This weekend I pretended I was 19. Only it was very apparent that I'm not anymore.

I got signed up to be on a flip cup team and play in a flip cup tournament at a bar. It seemed like a fantastically horrible idea.

The day started early. We had to be at the bar by 2 on Saturday. Getting off the T I knew it would be a bad situation, when we ran into a group of people, who could barely pass for 21, in uniforms. Head to toe fluourescent pink. Black sweatbands. Logos on the front of their shirts. Names on the back. One had was designated the captain with a "C" on his shirt. And then we saw another team, wearing matching t-shirts, and again with sweatbands. Kate and I had been considering wearing t-shirts and sweatshirts, because it seemed like that's what you do when you start drinking at 2 on a Saturday.

We got into the bar and realized that the average age was about 22, which was a solid 8 years younger that the majority of our team. Naturally, there was a team of guys from Union. And naturally, the wore their Springfest t-shirts, and they were loud, and they were good. There were 32 teams in all, and we found our competition listed on the brackets. We had about an hour to wait until our first round game, so we enjoyed a few pitches of PBR to settle our nerves. All we could drink until 6 PM! What a great idea!

We finally got to play our game, and luckily we played against the team that was closest to our age. They all wore fake mustaches for some reason, and matching t-shirts.

We killed them. Each round was best of 7 games, and we won handedly 4-1.

By that time we were feeling a lot better. The beer was kicking in, and we were feeling more confident and a whole lot less nervous. Then I went outside while Kate smoked and realized, it's sunny and 3:30 and I'm drunk.

We played our second game against another team that barely looked 21, and again had matching t-shirts with their names on the back. They killed us, but they weren't good. The girls, Kate and me, held our own. The boys looked like they learned to play flip cup yesterday. We got swept.

But we still had two hours left in the competition, so we enjoyed our "free" pitchers of cheap beer and became just a group of people getting wasted in the middle of the day. We stumbled out of the bar at 6 and found the closest place with nachos.

I passed out shortly after 10 o'clock. I'm definitely not in college anymore.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, awesome, sounds like there could have been some great photos from this day!

Jenny Grace said...

Well you ARE pretty old.

Especially since the word verification for this comment is dozings

Stacy said...

Zabe, there are some pictures, though I don't know if they're any good. They weren't taken on my camera. But I got drunk and took control of the camera for awhile, and took a whole lot of pictures of my beer. I'll post some good ones (not of beer) if there are any once I get them.

Jenny, that's a great word verification for this post :)