Sunday, November 16, 2008

Happy endings, like at Friendlys

Sometimes I find myself believing that as I'm watching a movie, the events in the movie will be different from the last time I saw the movie. The first time I realized that I did this was when I watched Titanic for the second time, and Jack was clinging to the chunk of ice. I had a faint glimmer of hope the ending would be different, and that he was going to get rescued, and then he and Rose would both get on some boat and get back to dry land and marry and have babies. But he froze to death on that ice cube, again.
This weekend I watched The Break Up. I saw the movie a year ago and it made me sad because I thought it would be a fun cheesy romantic comedy and Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston would finally get together in the end. And then the don't. And then they meet up at the VERY end, and they STILL don't get back together. So, when I watched it this weekend, I couldn't help but feel optimistic when they run into each other in the last minute of the movie. I thought, "Hooray! Maybe this time they'd realize they were both right for each other! They'll move back in together! They'll make babies! They'll be happy!" But that didn't happen this time in the movie either.
Am I completely crazy? Does any of this make sense? Is there anything else I can find to do to put off doing all of my work for school any longer?


I have a big crush on Vince Vaughn in this movie.

4 comments:

Jenny Grace said...

They don't end up together in the end??

WHAT is the point of that?

Stacy said...

Uh oh, I hope I didn't ruin it for you.

But yes, they never get back together, which made me very disappointed. Last Kiss made me feel the same way. And they argue throughout the movie, too.

Molly Pants said...

My thing with The Breakup is that it actually is a pretty good movie. But it was marketed HORRIBLY. It is NOT a romantic comedy!!!! If you look at it as though it were an indy film or something- you might be more prepared for it. Not crying and snotting yourself in the theater after the credits... um... not that THAT happened or anything...

Anonymous said...

Yeah I was very disappointed in this movie. It wasn't fun, cheesy, OR a romantic comedy!!