Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I'm feeling all reflective.

2008 is just about dunzo. I'm spending my last day of the year in my favorite fleece pants from 10th grade, sipping coffee to keep me going into the wee hours of the morning, and eating pancakes while I watch 8 inches of snow pile up outside my window.

I'd say it was a good year. I made what turned out to be a good career move that ended up with me teaching 3rd grade, which is a goal I've had since I was 8. I bought a new car, and started on the long process of paying off car loans and grad school loans (not fun, but the sooner I start, the sooner I'm done!). I learned new words and phrases in two languages (including "wash your hands," "sit down," and "Do you have to pee?" in Hebrew for my days teaching at a Jewish preschool, and relearned a lot of Spanish vocabulary to help out at parent conferences at my new school). I ended a relationship that was not going to go anywhere, and felt good about it eventually. I officiated a wedding ceremony. I ran in my second 10K. I was more careful to use sunscreen. I read several really good books (and some really bad books).

I like New Years a lot, but this year it seems like it all of a sudden happened and I didn't even see it coming. We all procrastinated on making plans, and then I just got back from Florida a day ago and realized there were still no plans. We worked something out last night, and I think it will be fun.

Every year I make the same new years resolutions...exercise more regularly, eat less candy, talk to my brother more often, and be nicer to my parents. They're not really resolutions, I think, because it's stuff that I should be doing and I'm aware of it all year, but then another year goes by and I realize that I'm still going through a bag of mint M&Ms in under 3 days, and snapping at my parents on the phone because I'm tired and cranky. I suppose I'll still keep those as my resolutions this year because I think they're good things to do, but this year I have a new resolution: learn to cook one new meal each month. I think it's totally doable. I probably cooked more new things my senior year of college because it was the first time I had a kitchen, and because Losure was constantly cooking up weird concoctions. I actually even started on this goal a little bit early! I got a gift of a Greek cookbook and a cool apron last week, so last night I made some Greek potatoes and chicken with lemon. It turned out tasty...even Kate ate it! I have a bunch of other cookbooks that have sat in dust on the shelves for a long time and I'm sure I'll take them out soon, but I'm especially anxious to dive into my Greek cookbook because it has a bunch of recipes that the old Greek ladies on my term abroad in Athens used to cook for lunch!

Happy Oh Nine!

1 comment:

Molly Pants said...

I subscribe to cooking light- and I highly recommend it. Not only are there ALWAYS yummy recipes, but you get a new one every month, which could be a helpful reminder to try a new one every month. I also LOVE inviting people over for dinner, because it forces me to actually experiment with sides. Feeding yourself (or even just yourself and your husband) can zap a lot of motivation out of adventurous cooking... but you could also post your recipes on your blog!
Also, thanks for officiating our wedding. You did such a beautiful job that my step-mother-in-law still asks about how we found you and thinks it's so interesting we had a nice jewish woman officiate our wedding.
(Must have been all those acting classes, right? hehe!)