Monday, December 22, 2008

Snow day Part 3?

I got my wish, and had another snow today today. It was pretty great, except for the 45 minutes in the morning, and hour in the afternoon, that I spent trying to break my car free from the ice cube it was stuck in. Last night the plows pushed a ton of slush all around my car, and since it only got up to about 20 degrees today, my car remained frozen in ice until some very nice man saw me chipping away with my plastic shovel and looking angrier and angrier by the minute. He had an ice pick with him, and in 5 minutes he had all of the ice chopped so I could shovel most of it away. I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

All of the cities around the city where I teach, including Boston, have already cancelled school for tomorrow, but mine still hasn't. I've become kind of greedy. It would actually be a good day to be at school...we have an assembly in the morning, I planned on playing a few games of vocabulary bingo and have awesome eraser prizes, and I have a writing project I wanted to finish up before vacation. I also got a bunch of wintery/Christmasy pencils to give them. Third graders LOVE fun pencils. And if i that's not present enough, I also have a ton of homework to give my kids over vacation. I kind of hate the thought of them sitting around for almost 2 weeks and forgetting everything they've learned in math in the past month if I don't get to give it to them (I'm not the only mean teacher! All of the 3rd grade teachers are giving the same "vacation math packet!") To top it off, I have a lot to do in my classroom and to pack up with me to work on over the break, so it would be nice to get all of that.

However, despite all of that, I've kind of thought how nice it would be to spend another low-key day at home, even though I'll have almost 2 weeks of vacation after tomorrow. Plus, it's going to be really really cold again, and my pink fleece pants are just so warm. That little kid excitement of "SNOW DAY!!!!!!" when you find out the news is still in me too. Typical of my "I'll worry about it later" mentality, I can't really be bothered yet about thinking that I'll be making up all of these days at the end of June when I'm antsy to get to the beach.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love the new design of your page! Happy Hannukah!