Saturday, June 24, 2006

It's all about the conservation

Sixteen years ago I participated in my elementary school's "Fun Run," which was a (fun) little probably 1/2 mile run around the school yard. I don't remember for sure, but I'd be willing to bet I only ran it for the popsicles at the end.

Being 7 or 8 years old, I had an interesting training idea in my head. Unlike Thanksgivings around that time, where I used to "practice" by stuffing myself at most meals for the week leading up to the big day, I decided to get ready for the Fun Run by conserving all of my energy in the days leading up to the event. That meant no running, no excessive playing that involved running, and basically just moving as slow as I could for the days before the race. A decade and a half later, that logic seems a little faulty.




Nevertheless, here I am getting ready for the second race in my life tomorrow, and I feel like I'm practicing the same training regimen. I was doing alright with some running, until it all of a sudden got abnormally hot & humid for mid-June, and I decided I couldn't do much running. I woke up this morning to a light rain, and thought I should go running, since I've skipped the past two days. But then I thought, "are you supposed to run the day before a race?" I wasn't sure if it would tire my legs out. So, I took today off as well, to conserve energy.

It's not going to be pretty tomorrow.

No comments: