Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Cool people drink coffee

I want to like every food. It's a pretty lofty, and weird, goal, but it would just be nice to eat all kinds of food. When I was little, my parents always made me try new foods, and try foods that I used to not like, and so now I still like to retry foods that I once didn't like (with the exception of cheesecake...I think I'm better off not liking it). And in general, I'd say I'm a good eater; I like all kinds of food and there's not too much that I dislike.

But the one thing that I just can't get myself to like is coffee. I try it maybe a couple of times a year, but I still just don't like it. And I really, really want to like it. First, there's the caffeine kick which would be nice. I can't imagine what it's like to be up at 8 o'clock and not feel draggy.

But there's also just this thing about being a coffee drinker. I like to drink apple juice, but no one identifies me as an apple juice drinker. I don't even know anyone else who drinks apple juice, because it's just not a thing you do...no one walks into work every day with their big mug of apple juice. Unlike those coffee drinkers. You know who the coffee drinkers are in your life. They have stylish mugs or special thermoses (I usually just drink my apple juice out of a glass or a plastic cup). They have a favorite kind of coffee or a preferred place to buy a cup (I dabble in all kinds of apple juice). And coffee drinking gets its own special time of the day. You practically look naked in the morning if you don't have a steaming cup attached to your hand.

I want to be a coffee drinker. I want to have my own special mug that I have with me every morning. Maybe even two, so I don't have to wash it every night if I'm too tired. I want to have a favorite place where I get coffee. I want to be able to say, "Ugh, I didn't my coffee this morning." And then have that be an excuse for my sluggishness. Until then, I'm going to keep trying it...I'm determined to like it. You should hang onto your hopes and dreams too.



Gillian enjoys her cup of joe

No comments: