Friday, February 18, 2005

"Talked about things that make your mind spin"

During junior year at Union, Stephen Kellogg came to open up for Matt Nathanson or Howie Day. He had this little stuffed red chili pepper thing that he apparently takes to all his shows. He threw it out into the audience, and Sara Kaplan caught it. She was sitting next to Losure. So an hour later, when Stephen's done playing, Losure goes to the bathroom, and while he's standing there peeing, Stephen walks up to him and says, "Hey, your friend caught my chili. Can I get it back?" After after what I'm sure felt like hours of "Uhhhh ahhhhhh uhhh....", he told him they'd give it back. Last night I got to see the chili pepper again. I was experimenting with the night setting on my camera, so it's really blurry, but that red blob that looks like it's on fire? That's it.



That was my second time that day seeing him play. There's nothing quite like live music, and I got my fill of it yesterday. Before his show at the Paradise, Stephen and his band played for about half an hour in the back corner of the Apple Store at the Cambridgeside Galleria. At first it was awkward and embarrassing, because it started out with just about 15 of us in a circle around him, and well, you can imagine how that might feel sort of weird. But then we made eye contact, he smiled, I fell in love, and the rest was good. He played with just the three guys in his band...no microphone, no plugs or anything, just them and their guitars and drum...it was really really cool.


Then we headed out to The Paradise last night, and saw Virginia Coalition open up for Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers. VaCo was lots of fun...even though I didn't know any of their new stuff, they got the crowd really into it, and it made me think about the last time I saw them at Union outside on the patio behind Chet's. They're the kind of band that just makes you want to get drunk, even though none of us were planning on drinking during the show. Onto my third beer, I realized that this Bud Light smelled different. And bad. I couldn't figure out what it was...until Kate or Helen kept saying it smelled like puke around us, and then I realized there was some sort of whitish substance on my bottle. I've never scrubbed my hands so much.


Anyway, Stephen was awesome too...he's got a new CD out this week, which I think would definitely be worth buying.

It was a late night...Kate hadn't seen past 10 o'clock on a weeknight in months, and even Helen and I are generally in pajamas by then too, so this morning wasn't the greatest. I babysat, where the baby peed on me when I changed his diaper, spit up squash and chicken puree on me, and then tried to chew off a button on my shirt, which was all lots of fun after not much sleep. But at least the beer puke smell is off my hands.

No comments: