Monday, December 19, 2005

Aloutte, something aloutte...aloute jounte plumeraaaaayyyyy (that's how it sounds in my head)

Today was my first day of vacation. I'm sort of on vacation until June. But don't tell my roommates, they hate me.

I finished my last day of first grade on Friday. Six and seven year olds are typically pretty self-centered, so I was really surprised that a lot of them seemed sad that I was leaving. They made a book for me with letters to me, which was really cute, and they made a wreath with their school pictures. Which is cute, but I'm not really sure what to do with it. Right now it's hanging in the living room. Pictures later perhaps.

The best part of Friday though was the gifts. I didn't get much...the school actually has a policy about giving gifts, and it's not allowed. A few parents broke the rule and gave me something little...but the best thing--the thing I've been looking forward to since I played school in our backyard shed when I was 7--was the "A + teacher" bag. With a shiny red apple on it. And a candle that says "teachers have class." I think I've officially made it into the education world.

So now I'm on vacay. I'm gonna do some subbing and some babysitting, and then I start classes at the end of Jan. And even then I'll have a weird, definitely non-working, schedule.

I celebrated today by getting absolutely nothing done. I found this neat website called futureme.org, where you can send emails to yourself or other people up to thirty years in the future. So I sent myself one, so I can be depressed when I haven't fulfilled any of my expectations. I also sent some emails to some friends, so 15 or 20 years from now you might be getting an email from you. I hope we haven't had a falling out, or that would be really awkward.

This weekend was sort of random. The "Holiday Soiree" we planned turned into some people coming over to hang out, and then we went to our new favorite bar, the Beacon Hill Pub. I ran into someone from a grad school class (she's weird though, so I didn't say hi). We ran into some um, friendly neighbors, otherwise known as the pieces of shit on Halloween. I ran into some guy from Union who I didn't recognize for the life of me, who remembered my name and said I made out with his visiting friend in the basement of a frat. And we ran into like 8 other Union people. Kate saw the bartender she's in love with, and that was nice because it took her mind off of the fact that her current singer obsession, Matt Wertz, is a Jesus-lover. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

No comments: