Thursday, November 09, 2006

Lost, and probably gone forever

The thing about my kids (my students, not future biological) that irritates me 65 percent of the time is their parents. I think some kids send their kids to preschool thinking they're going to get the love and attention that they do at home. Newsflash: preschool isn't home. I like your kids, but I have 17 others, and at least 2 are crying.

The biggest trend lately in my classroom is bringing in things from home to show, or to show only to a select group, resulting in crying by the other two-thirds of the class. There's no doubt in my mind that some of the kids spend a good 15 minutes every morning choosing one of their most prized possessions to bring into school. And while it's sort of irritating to have to spend so much time in circle saying, "And now let's see what Isaac has! Stand up and show it to us, Isaac!" it is nice for them to get so excited about showing their things to their friends.

But, inevitably, these valued items get lost somewhere in the room, or pocketed by another kid with the child put it down for a minute to play with something else.

And then the parents complain:
"Edan brought in two old cell phones, and now we're missing one. Do you know what happened to it?"
"Ellie has a special ribbon that she lost, and we miss it. Where is it?"
"Abby brought in her pink pig yesterday, and I don't know where it went. Can you look for it today"

Sure, right after I deal with Oliver, who's pooped in his pants for the second time before 10 o'clock this morning.

No comments: