Friday, March 11, 2005

Ena Bira, Parakalo

Remember when you were little and you had a cool play house, that was your very own space to do whatever you wanted? With windows to look out from? With painted on curtains and stuff like that? Yeah I didn't have one. I didn't have a Skip-It either, until my brother made me one out of wood, but that's another story. Anyway, a comment on Kate's blog reminded me about the time when I finally got my very own play house. When I was in Greece (with no TV or internet in my apartment for 4 months I might add) my roommates and I found a gigantic box lying next to the orange trees on the street outside of my apartment. We brought it inside, and decided it made the perfect play house. Because it was the last week of the semester, when I was almost actually interested in ancient architecture stuff (fluted corinthian columns, hooray!), I helped come up with the dorky classics motif for the house. It became known as the Kleomenathon, modeled after the Parthenon, and given the name because we lived on a street called Klemenous.

Side view


Please note the stunning similarities to the real Parthenon, right down to the frieze and pediment
Those were some good times.

No comments: