Thursday, March 17, 2005

They're magically delicious!

St. Patrick's Day is such a weird holiday. I was walking around by Downtown Crossing earlier, and you can't help but laugh at all of the serious people walking out of the financial district wearing shamrock ties, or mid 20s guys wearing gigantic Guiness hats, and I'm sure a lot of them aren't even Irish. But then I remembered that I got up this morning and thought--Hey, I'll wear my green shirt today! I'm not even close to being Irish. But that didn't stop my dad from making green pancakes on St. Patrick's day when I was younger. I don't know what it is about today that makes everyone want to celebrate. But I do know that it's an excellent day to go celebrate in a bar. I hope they have green beer.


Pete wore a Guiness pin last year for 3/17

I've been really really bad about blogging lately. It's definitely not because I haven't had the time. I'm on spring break right now, and on top of that, my little Beacon Hill baby is away on vacation, eating some sand in the caribbean. My time off has been pretty uneventful besides a couple of dinners out at night and some skiing. I'd rather be on a beach somewhere. With vanilla ice cream, in a cone, with jimmies.

Anyway, after 4 or 5 drafts of blog posts that even I didn't want to read, I decided I'd just write a list, because I'm a big fan of lists. Only this list won't demonstrate my ocd tendency to list everything I need to do that day, right down to showering and ironing pants. Shut up Kate.

No, this is a more random list, without any specific point. Just stuff I'd like to share that I've thought about or has happened to me during this lazy, lazy week.

1) Yesterday on the T, a guy with long orange hair and blue fingernails took my picture. When I looked up to figure out what he was doing, he just started whistling, which he did for 3 more T stops, before he started doing some fishing motion with his arms and hands.
2) Even though I'm almost 23, it still feels nice to have a 2nd grader tell me I'm cool. Especially since he's one of those badass rebel kids that doesn't like school.
3) Electric guitar and ukelele do not mix to my liking, even though my neighbors think it's a fun combination.
4) It's fun to veer towards the bumps on skis, but you have to remember not to aim for them when you're driving home later.
5) And on that note, my driving has definitely gotten a little rusty since I can't have my car in the city so I haven't done any substantial driving in almost 5 months. If I offer to drive your car somewhere, you might want to remember to decline.
6) Scott Peterson is easily the most attractive man on death row. Ever.
7) I still don't understand what the lyrics to "Run," by Snow Patrol, mean. Who's running, and why?
8) I can't figure out the perfect balance of water to drink before bed. If I don't drink much in the couple of hours before bed, I wake up feeling like my tongue might dry out and fall off. But if I drink too much, then I can't sleep in the morning because I have to go to the bathroom.
9) Curt Schilling is a smart guy. Even though he's an outspoken Bush supporter, he's got a lot of intelligent things to say in his argument against steroid use. Maybe Johnny Damon should let Schilling speak for him at press conferences.

I wanted to have a number 10 in the list, but you're stuck with the odd number 9 because I can't come up with a tenth thing that I've thought about in the past week, which is sort of embarassing. You can add your own number 10 to the list.

Tomorrow I'm going to show you a really cool, gravity-defying picture, circa 1999.

No comments: