Friday, March 02, 2007

It's been one of those days.

Excuse me while I go on a self-pity rant.

My contacts case just fell in the toilet.

One of the kids in my class shrieked--literally, shrieked--for almost 10 minutes because she thought she had fish sticks for lunch, and it turned out she had pasta.

One of the kids I babysat after work declared me a mean babysitter because I refused to let her eat her lollipop before dinner.

My car has had some rattley noise going on for a few weeks, and on my drive home today it started to smell like burning.

And I went to this giant teaching recruitment fair, with like 35 schools there, and a bazillion people looking for jobs, and half a bazillion of them were looking for elementary jobs. I got to have a mini-interview with an elementary principal. Upon which I froze. He pretended to be mildy impressed with my reading background, asked to hear about my reading philosophy, and I went totally speechless and started grabbing for words. I can totally sit here in my apartment and spew out an ok philsophy that sounds like I know what I'm doing, but I'm pretty sure I started with something about how it should be fun. He asked about reading assessments I've done, and my mind went totally blank. It was really, really bad.

But in better news, I'm having a second costume parade of the week at work tomorrow. My class did one on Wednesday, and the whole school is doing it tomorrow. Wednesday I dressed up like a queen, and tomorrow I'm going to be a baseball player. Getting in costumes in March sort of makes me want to stick around in this school for another 5 years.

Before I head off to bed, I have an etiquette question for you. So, say you have this neighbor, who is sort of crazy, doesn't pick up social cues, and makes you gigantic lasagnas. Then, say you read on boston.com that he was arrested (with two 19 year olds) for breaking into an MIT faculty club, in an attempt to pull another "MIT prank." And that he was facing up to twenty years in the slammer if convicted. Twenty! And then say, hypothetically, that his court date was this week. What's the polite thing to do? Do you make a lasagna as a nice gesture? Do you leave a sticky note on his door, "Good luck, don't drop the soap?"

No comments: