Monday, August 08, 2005

August

I'd like to make a case that August is the worst month of the year.

August is sort of like Sunday. Even though it's a month of summer weather and summer vacation (for those in academics), it means the end of summer is near. It's hard to enjoy Sunday or August because you can't stop thinking that it's almost over.

Even though it's going to be 90 degrees every day this week, I can't help remembering that that'll end shortly, and abruptly. One morning I'll wake up and see the 3 and a half foot weeds by our front steps are covered with a thin layer of frost, and I know I'll have to wear at least 4 layers of clothes until late April.

The best part of my summer vacation should be the second half of August. I'll finally be done with my summer classes, and I have about three weeks to go to the beach, the pool, Texas, and my favorite spot on the couch. I can finish my book and hopefully get through another one. I can enjoy being outside. I can get rid of the dust bunnies underneath my bed. I can organize my life.

But always in one corner of my mind there's the thought that fall is right around the corner. Cold weather is on its way, and the lazy days of summer are about to end. In just one month from today I begin student teaching. And not only will it result in a serious drain on my social life and my love of doing nothing, but it's also a constant reminder that life as I know it as a student is almost over, and soon I have to begin working forever. Or until I win the lottery. Whichever comes first.

August is crummy.

No comments: