Wednesday, August 17, 2005

In the mood for Mexican?

I don't remember having imaginary friends when I was little. I had "temporary imaginary friends," because I used to like to pretend I was a soccer mom and drop my 8 kids (oh yeah, I was in the von trapp family) off at all of their activities in my van (read: bike) at various locations in my neighborhood. But anyway, while I made up names for them, I didn't consistently talk about thoose people, or make up personalities and qualities for them.

I was thinking about imaginary friends though, and trying to remember if I had any, because the girl I've been babysitting this week now has a new imaginary friend since the last time I watched her at the beginning of the summer. The friend's name is Burrito.

Yes, Burrito. Burrito is about the size of a tennis ball, he likes to eat cheese sandwiches, play outside in the sandbox, go for walks, and uses the potty because he's already three years old. Burrito has a little pal named Baby Burrito.

I think it's kind of funny that even at two years old kids can create this somewhat complicated friend/Mexican entree. And the psych major in me thinks it's probably a pretty healthy thing to do, which maybe explains why I never had imaginary friends. I'd be curious to know which of my friends had imaginary friends and what they were like...

No comments: