Sunday, August 21, 2005

Cool and Comfy

I tend to get in sleeping ruts. First I need it absolutely quiet. Then I need background noise. Then I need it perfectly dark. Then I need some light.

I've never really enjoyed air conditioning, but this summer I found myself using it almost every night for the month of July because it was about 231 degrees in the apartment.

I started to realize though that I needed the air conditioning on to sleep. The trains and cars and construction in the morning used to not bother me, but then I began finding that one car driving down my street would wake me up at 6:30. But I realized that I can't use the air conditioning all winter during blizzards, so since this week was finally cooler at night, I decided that this week I would ween myself off of the air conditioner.

It was a tough week for sleeping.
I was restless every morning from around 5ish and on. The air blowing on me from my fan would make me cold, but it was too hot to have nothing. I also had scary or weird dreams almost every night this week (the usual, like being chased by unspecified "mean" people, and then more interesting things like getting stuck in big bad tornados with nothing to hold on to to keep me on the ground besides clinging to the leg of a coffee table, or another one where my dad was the vice president of a small country and snipers were after us).

I have a lot to do in the next few weeks, and I want to get a lot done in the next few days before I leave for Texas later this week. I know that when I get home from the great land of GW and gun-toting cowboys, it'll really feek like summer is ending and I'll want to be perfectly lazy and spend the last bit of summer at the beach or my pool, not doing anything I need to get done. But today I'm sleepy. And it's hot. And I'm kind of cranky. And I have so many little things to do that I don't want to do anything.

This has quickly become a woe is me post. So sorry. It could be worse. A LOT worse. I could have been working all summer like my roommate. I could be living at home. I could have crossed eyes. But now might be a good time to send presents anyway.

No comments: