Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The stars at night, are big and bright...

DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!!!

Now imagine that song being stuck for your entire trip to Texas. It's really fun.

I've made it home safe & sound from my trip to CactusLand. Which I found out really isn't so much cactus land as I was expecting. At least not the "tall ones with arms" variety. I did however find a good prickly one to take a picture with.


Some of my other suspicions about Texas were confirmed, however. Like the fact that they like cowboy boots.


This was in a store that sold cowboy boots, hats, leather jackets and vests, and "cowboy cut" Wrangler jeans.

But besides searching out cactuses and comboy boots, I spent some time doing educational things, like seeing the Alamo, the Texas State History Museum, the capital building, and the Real World Austin house and the bar that the cast goes to 9 times a week.

I didn't sing the Davy Crockett song at the Alamo even once


I did a lot of sweating too. Like, bordering on disgusting. Like, over 100 degrees each day. We sat outside at a bar around 12:30 at night and had to move inside to the AC because it was still in the 90s after midnight and was too hot. I sleep with a down comforter and a blanket 365 days out of the year, but even I was begging for an air conditioner. One neat thing is that they have are these misting tents, which is perfect for an afternoon at the Austin Hot Sauce Festival. But then my hair gets frizzy. It's a lose-lose situation choosing between frizzy hair or dripping sweat.

In Texas I also learned that I have a big issue with "y'all." Here's the thing. I don't like the contraction to begin with. It makes even well-educated people sound dumb. But I especially don't like it when they say it to address only two people. I think the rule should be, if it's going to be used at all, that it's just for a crowd of 3 or more. I wouldn't say "you all" or "all of you" to just two people, I'd just say "you." Come on people, it's weird.

But the Texans were overall nice people, despite their Bush-like accents. And I'm proud to say that afer a short vacation, I earned myself The Texan Card, compliments of my brother, a real live Texan.



The back reads: "The bearer of this card has consistently demonstrated the true spirit of Texas in thought, word, and deed. Therefore, said bearer is duly entitled to enjoy the many wonders of the Lone Star State and the hearty friendship of its people. It is understood that this, The Texan Card, is their certification and rightful passport to the great bounty of Texas."

Yee haw.

No comments: