Friday, May 26, 2006

I'm a bit of a hypocrite. And a bad driver.

When I'm running on the sidewalk, and get to an intersection, I get really annoyed at the cars that pull out to turn onto the road and block the crosswalk, making me have to run around behind them. But I've been noticing lately that I drive right through the crosswalks when I want to make a turn, and get annoyed that people would actually try to walk across rather than just walk behind me. I need to get through so I can pull out quickly and cut off cars!

Sometimes I think it's a wonder that the people at the DMV gave me a license. Or that I've been practicing with said license for 8 years already.

And while I'm thinking about my driving skills, I noticed tonight on a bike ride that I get bike rage in the same way that I get road rage sometimes. If cars cut me off, even if I have plenty of time to slowly put on my brakes, I sometimes wait to brake and pull up close behind the other car, to show them that they really didn't have enough time to pull out in front of me. When I was riding my bike, I got fed up with walkers who take up the whole bike path and are going the opposite direction as me. The bike path even has a dotted line down the middle to show that you're supposed to be on one side, but people go in packs of 2 and 3, and take up the whole width. So anyway, I don't think I should have to slow down. They should stop talking for 5 seconds about the tacky curtains that Mildred just put up, and compact themselves. If you ever find yourself in this situation, the key thing to remember is that you don't need to slow down, and you don't need to ride off the bike path onto the grass. Simply continue at full speed, and if they don't quickly move over, then put your brakes on really quickly right in front of them, so it makes the screeching noise. That's how you do it.

No comments: